Tuesday, March 10, 2015

SSR

    "Little girl with the press and curl
    Age eight, I got a Jheri curl
    Thirteen, and I got a relaxer
    I was the source of so much laughter
    At fifteen when it all broke off
    Eighteen and went all natural"

    So this song is called 'I am Not My Hair" by India Arie. I get the song it's very nice it pretty much speaks on how a young black girls hair shouldn't be the source of criticism and judgement on who she is and your hair doesn't have o be bone straight for it to look and be considered nice. That's nice and all but, speaking for myself, I think it's safe to say that I m my hair. For anybody that knows me they know that my hair changes more than anything. It may just be the very things about me that speaks out the most. I can very easily be judge by my hair of the day. I do my hair based on how I feel when I wake up or before I go to sleep. If I get up and don't feel too nice then my hair won't look nice. It's probably gonna be in a presentable bun, ponytail, or braid of some sort that simple and not too extravagant. On other days when I'm Feeling Myself (Beyonce voice) my hair be laiddd. Idc my hair speaks for me. My edges be on fleek everything looks right I'm usually in a good mood and I know I look nice. I like my hair best in a weave (no not because I don't appreciate my natural hair) but because its manageable. I get up brush it probably flat iron it a little and I'm good to go. everybody always asks me why I don't wear my natural hair out.
    "Why you don't like it?" "Is it nappy?" "Is it short?" Like nooooo I just don't like having to deal with it. I love my natural hair and the beauty of it. One day it can be curly and the next it can be straight but I don't see anybody volunteering to do that for me. During the summer I wear my natural hair out the most. I let it get wet and everything all that's going to happen is my curls are going to reset. I hate when people ask me that question like do you think I cut all my hair off to go natural just to not like it NO. I love it
    I respect India Arie's song it's nice. It expresses to society that they should accept natural hair and hair of all textures but me I AM MY HAIR. My hair speaks, it speaks for me.

1 comment:

  1. Your hair isn't going to get you into college or through a job interview. Anyone who judges your worth by your hair probably isn't worth impressing.

    ReplyDelete