Thursday, December 4, 2014

Friends (PB)

I remember when there was a time that I called anybody I spoke to my friend. If you made me laugh you was my friend. If we liked the same music you were my friend. If we had the same favorite color you was my friend. There was a simpler time when any type of similarity made you my friend. During this time I had A LOT of friends. Everybody was my friend, at least that's what I thought. Only a few years ago I had a boatload of friends. Today I pretty much stand alone. There may be a few people I talk to everyday but who's really my friend? How do you even define a friend?

This is a time where the same "friend" who you would exchange deep secrets with is the same "friend" that would defame your name. The hardest challenge is probably knowing who is really your friend and who is just around for the time being. I have had friends that made new friends and completely left me out of the equation. After these friends I had a friend who helped defend me against those old friends. As time went on that same new friend became a new enemy.


Having gone through this I wonder if the people with me now are even my real friends. Who's going to be there 10 years from now? Who's going to be here 10 days from now? But worrying about this also makes me wonder if this is a "live in the moment" lesson. Should I be worried about where my peers are in the future or have fun with the ones with me today?

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You will meet a ton of new people going forward. The unfortunate thing about high school is that it is full of people who are all trying to figure out who they are at the same time. Every one of us makes mistakes in trying to figure it all out, and often the victims of our mistakes are the people who surround us in high school.

    ReplyDelete